Successful product management executive, UX architect, and project leader with 15 years experience designing highly useful and usable web and mobile applications across diverse knowledge domains and industries. Recognized innovator with proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve problems to increase operational efficiency and implement process change. Consistently manage relationships across all organizational levels and lead multi-disciplinary teams to design, re-design, and launch cutting-edge applications with success measured in increased profit and reduced cost for the company and its clients.
- Lean UX design process development in organizations of all sizes
- Vendor contract negotiations
- Mobile app and responsive web design
- Product discovery and design sprint implementation
- Prototyping and usability testing
- User scenario mapping
- User story mapping and acceptance criteria development
- Information architecture
- Backlog development and management
Responsible for all aspects of product design, backlog management, and engineering management across responsive web and native mobile applications in a greenfield startup environment. Applications developed facilitate marketing outreach, sales and promotional activities, and financial transactions between platform participants. Also responsible for engineering vendor management, budget control, contract negotiations, and Agile Scrum process implementation. During the first two quarters of beta launch operations in Chicago, IL, the LISA App platform:
- Onboarded 2,000 service providers
- Acquired 4,000 consumers
- Completed 900 appointments, average revenue $48/appointment
Product Management, Engineering, and Design teams completed 16 API and supported app store releases (iOS, Android - Q1/Q2 2016):
- 2 major API releases (semver.org)
- 3 minor API releases
- 11 patch API releases
Successful cross-platform integration of the following 3rd party APIs, frameworks, and tools:
- Stripe.com & PCI Compliance
- Localytics, Google & Facebook Analytics
- iOS Event Kit / Android Calendar API
- Google Maps and Directions APIs
- Twilio SMS and Phone functions
- Push notifications (ANS)
- Instagram API
- Device camera integration
- iTunes Connect & Android Play management
Dom & Tom
Lead UX design and product discovery sessions with clients developing applications spanning responsive web, iOS, and Android native application platforms.
Responsible for introducing basic Lean UX process and Agile practices to a sales and development heavy organization unfamiliar with implementing such practices in an agency environment. During my tenure, I had the following projects accepted by the client.
- Responsive web app prototype (Axure) designed and developed to facilitate a large scale usability test for a Fortune 500 client seeking to validate new feature functionality being proposed in an existing product line
- Native mobile application design (iOS, Android) for a payments/eCommerce startup
- Native iOS application for a startup in the retail automotive space allowing consumers to monitor their vehicle and understand its health without having to go to the mechanic
- LISA App, an open platform mobile app (iOS, Android, API) where I joined as Director of Product Management and UX (see above)
Additionally, design and other requirement artifacts developed for a startup in the automotive space were accepted by the client. The app itself has yet to make it to production due to a variety of issues and constraints in engineering.
Lastly, completed product design and discovery activities for a startup in the beauty and wellness space before joining the client full time as Director of Product Management (see above position - LISA App)
Successful cross-platform integration of the following 3rd party APIs and frameworks across various projects:
- ODB II (automotive diagnostics)
- PCI compliance
- Geo-location APIs / Google Maps
- Push notifications (ANS)
Echo Global Logistics
Lead UX design efforts focused on Echo's proprietary enterprise inside sales application supporting ~1,000 sales and operations agents generating revenue of $850MM (2013). Projects include:
- Redesign and design-debt reduction as legacy pages and applications are upgraded
- New application design supporting Echo's multi-modal transportation management growth strategy
- Design component interactions and visual guidelines for Echo’s next generation platform
Additional responsibilities include introducing all manner of UX design principles to all IT roles, business stakeholders, executive management, and end users themselves. In 12 months we have launched 8 product management teams (Product Owner, Scrum Master, delivery engineers/QA) that define their products using increasingly sophisticated lean UCD principles - user scenario mapping, wireframing, prototyping, and usability testing - that has lead to increased user satisfaction (SUSS) and fewer production defects.
Redesigned the Cars.com B2B application into a modern business intelligence (BI) platform capable of providing auto dealers and dealer group executives with critical intelligence and insight into their business performance, market dynamics, and ROI on ad spend with Cars.com. Lead and managed all aspects of the product discovery life-cycle from early phase ideation to backlog management as a key part of the core Scrum team (Product Manger, Architect, Interaction Designer, and Scrum Master).
Redesigned the Cars.com mobile web site (m.cars.com) by improving the information architecture and cleaning up, simplifying, and streamlining user task flows. That design and IA provides significant influence in current iOS, Android, and mobile web apps. Mobile web traffic now accounts for 30% of all Cars.com traffic (02/2012).
Worked directly with the CEO and founder to specify and design SaaS products focused on improving KPIs critical to retail auto dealers in managing their pre-owned inventory. Managed data, interaction, and visual design requirements in multi-disciplinary project teams of 5 – 8 engineers (database, middle-tier, front-end, testing), and communicated with and trained the Marketing and Field Operations teams in new product process and capabilities. Products designed addressed business problems for a range of users from the front-line tactical manager to the strategy focused dealer-group executive. Clients report considerable improvement in front-end gross profit and inventory turn rate, and drastic reductions in inventory days supply.
- Key projects contributed over $3M in annual revenues (2007 - 2009)
- Made significant discoveries in decoding the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and search leading to considerable improvements in competitive vehicle pricing analysis in terms of result quality when searching against public vehicle listing sites (e.g. Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc)
- Designed a new process impacting the used vehicle trade-in appraisal process by re-architecting the workflow and reorganizing the data into a more useful application. Clients adopting the process report completing 4 – 5 additional deals per week, realizing profit gains in excess of $200K/year from this single activity.
American Century Investments
Early member of the eCommerce team responsible for developing requirements defining American Century’s complete cradle-to-grave customer self-service account management system at www.americancentury.com (paper free, digital signature enabled account opening through account redemption). Developed new processes and intranet based tools for use in the call center to capture contact drivers and customer feedback and then used that data to implement new projects to reduce call center contacts, reduce cost, and improve web site usability. Successfully managed projects in a geographically dispersed, remote location team environment.
Certified Scrum Product Owner